Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 4 post surgery

I was released from the hospital yesterday. I must say the pain isn't as bad as I thought it would be but I am still taking Advil to help me out. However, I have the best motivation in the world to try to heal as fast as possible. The nurses were really great in helping me get out of my room and off to see Ceilidh that Saturday before her surgery. It was really important for me to be there before they took her away to fix the Omphalocele. And now that I am released from the General I don't have to keep doing the back and forth. I can spend all my time at CHEO just being with her. Just know that I am doing well in my recovery, my feet may be swollen, which is funny since they never were swollen during pregnancy, but I am mobile. But enough about me lets talk about about Ceilidh.

Everyone learning about Miss C. Omphaloceles aren't that common.

Shortly after birth. She has a bag covering her Omphalocele to keep it moist and protected.

In her isolate ready for transport but not before I get to meet her for the first time.

Our first meeting.

Post eviction

Post surgery with M by her side.
Here is the update since Saturday. Sunday was a rough day for Ceilidh they tried to remove her ventilation tube but that didn't go so well so back in it went. This is partly due to some of the pain meds she was on which can make breathing difficult. She really was not a happy camper on Sunday, which of course was very upsetting for us. It is hard to see her grimace through the pain, it just breaks your heart every time. They later decided to change the pain meds to Morphine. She has since been much more stable and content.

Today they finally removed the ventilation tube and this time success! This also meant that we could hold her. Only I got to hold her when she was born. Before the CHEO transportation team came to wisk her away in her little cadillac. They gave me a chance to hold her and we had her baptised by Father John. So holding her again today for us was pretty monumental. She is doing so much better then we could have ever hoped for. But we still won't know yet when we will be able to take her home. For now she is reaching those mildstones she should be ie passing bowel moments and breathing on her own. Tomorrow they will try to feed her my milk through her feeding tube and see how she tolerates this. The next step will be feeding her without the tube. Till then I will continue to pump.  She truly is a tough nut and already we can see she has a strong personality. Each day with her is very special to us.

I have finally included some pictures.Mostly of the day she was born and one post surgery with M. We will continue to keep you all posted till she can come home with us.

5 comments:

  1. She is absolutely adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ceilidh is so cute ... I love her chubby cheeks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo happy for you guys!! Congratulations! Wow, she is doing so well, what a relief for you. She looks beautiful too. Hang in there, only up from now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks so much like Matt...except cuter!! Let me know if you want somebody to hang out with at the hospital. I'm sure with all the family around you're kept in good company, but I'd love to stop by if there's ever any downtime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dal, your blog and photos brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations to you both. I'm thinking of you and sending lots of love...

    Ange

    ReplyDelete