Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Week 26: Still hate ultrasounds

I find it is never a good sign when the technician first checks with you to make sure you are immediately seeing a doctor after the ultrasound appointment, and second tells you that they just need to check with the doctor to see if more pictures/scans are needed. In comes a doctor...never a good sign I find. Apparently they have found some things that they wish to monitor more closely. One the heart, it apparently is at a different angle from my last ultrasound three weeks ago. So now my fetal echcocardiogram gets moved to next week instead of two weeks from now. The other thing they found is a cyst of sorts near the umbilical cord which pools blood. Both seemed to puzzle the doctors. At this point no alarms are going off at the MFM clinic, everyone seems calm and they have suggested another ultrasound next week instead of the usual three weeks. Not sure if I should worry yet. The good news, at this point, is that blood flood through the umbilical cord is not impeded by the cyst as they could see that clearly in the ultrasound. The second good news is the heart rate and blood flow through the chambers appear normal. I am trying to focus on that part of the appointment. Needless to say this is why I hate ultrasounds. Till next week we sit and wait.

Update: Okay so when I wrote this originally it was Thursday. I didn't have the heart to post it as it still left a lot of questions unanswered.  Today I went for the fetal echocardiogram. The doctor basically said the heart looks good they can't see any faults in it. Yes it is angled different but that is expected because of the negative pressure from the Omphalocele. Once the Wee one is born it will go through some more test because the heart functions differently in utero as opposed to once it is born. But the take away message is the heart is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment