Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Being Sick and Pregnant the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

What started off as a annoying need to continuously clear my throat on Thursday afternoon, snowballed into and evil cold. I took Friday off hoping it was all in my head, and in fact after sleeping most of the morning I was starting to feel better in the afternoon. Then the crippling heartburn hit. I quickly forgot about my cough as all I could feel was the elephant sitting on my chest and back. Don't know how those imaginary elephants manage to do both simultaneously but either way it was a painful afternoon. I also don't know what took me so long to get my self to the pharmacy to buy some relief I think I endured 3 hours of heart burn before I went. Thanks A.G for the Tums advice, since I can't take my usual go to heart burn drug of choice.

The weekend did not get better. After awhile my sides hurt from all the coughing and the sneezing was worse since there is more force in them. Every time I would go into coughing fit I would brace my tummy. Don't know why I felt I had to do this. On Monday, another sick day I noticed the blood in my cough. Its wasn't a lot by any means. FYI if you aren't pregnant a few teaspoons of blood coughing up because you are sick is no need to panic. Having never had blood before I called Telehealth. They told me head to the doctors. I guess pregos are more prone to blood clots so they want to rule that out, and here I was worried about bronchitis, how naive am I. After some x-rays,  I had to wear extra gear around the Wee Smith so it doesn't come out radioactive, I was all clear. Still don't look forward to coughing or sneezing but I am on the mend.

So to recap
Bad: being sick can't use drugs
Good: how quickly doctors see you when you are pregnant x-rays and all
Ugly: Having to cough up blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment