Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Big belly button



The other day my friend's daughter asked me why Ceilidh has a big belly button. This little girl is herself four years old and was watching while I changed Ceilidh. It was the first time and probably not the last time that a little person asked about Ceilidh's scar. I am glad that this little girl thought it was at least a belly button albeit a large one. I explained to her that Ceilidh was sick when she was a baby and had to have surgery to fix her belly. I always wonder how Ceilidh herself will handle these questions as she gets older.
According to her surgeon most scars are up and down, while hers is like a purse string. This gives it more of an appearance like a belly button but only if you don't know any better and don't stare. Speaking of her surgeon we had our year after follow up appointment. It went really well. He thinks that she is growing well and is optimistic that her muscles will eventually cover her organs. Right now her tummy still puckers out but the hope is that it will all settle down. We will go back again next year.  I will try to take a picture of her belly and post it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment